Sunday, 4 January 2009

the elusive rodentsandycomingoutofherhouse


this is the lovely Sandy coming out of her house

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

sandy the hamster? whats wrong with good old fashioned names like hammy?

mavis sidebottom said...

shes named after the squirrel in spongebob squarepants

doreenmary said...

When I was little, I had a female hamster and my sister had a male... Denise introduced Simon to Lady by holding his face right up to hers and Lady bit his eye. It was awful, but the eye healed and Simon wasn't blind. They made babies and I watched the birth of some 10 pink hamsters and was horrified when Lady ate the runt right in front of me. Of course, there's the time when Snuffy (0ne of the babies) got loose and chewed everything in the house until he finally escaped the house entirely. Oh, and one final story.... Lady eventually got "wet tail"...it's a disease and I think it has something to do with kids not cleaning the cage enough. Anyway, my mom had a stethoscope over her on her last day...we were all crying. We rushed her to the vet, but the vet looked at us like we were nuts for bringing and elderly hamster in for medical treatment. The thing died. It was awful. After that, I said, "Never again." Although I do think Guinea Pigs are cute.

Your new pet is so cute. I hope you don't end up with any sad tales like I had.

Take care!

Doreen

Ded said...

I believe "wet tail" is something we've all had to confront at one time or other.

Kaz said...

We had guinea pigs once until Noel decided to make them "free range" and propped the cage on bricks one night.... the kids still believe they are living wild and free in the woods in their own little commune and didn't become fox bait!!

Anonymous said...

lol i love Doreen's story, i was having a great day... till i read that lol

sparky said...

Alex ,, I'm pretty sure thats a white rat and not a hampster . allan

Clank Napper said...

All pets are sad stories waiting to happen.

mavis sidebottom said...

Bit like men then aren't they

Anonymous said...

That's right. You get us for under a fiver, bring us into your home, set us in a cage and feed us on a combo of slop and cracked corn. For your jollies, we run around on a wheel. Endlessly. You then forget about us for days on end and while on holiday. And if we ever want sex, we have to get it from another rodent. And that lucky creature likely has the wet-tail. You never let us out and if we die or just complain too much, it's the trash bin for us.

Sad story, indeed.

Jessie said...

If they ever make a film called honey I shrunk babe the pig, sandy could be the shrunken babe, she reminds of him. V cute.

Anonymous said...

i've been to the video shop today... i always wondered what "Wet-tail, a neverending saga" was, now i know :(